There are various points on the human body that are vulnerable that if they are struck with even a moderate amount of force would result in excruciating pain or death. Martial artist are aware of the location of these points which help them to develop defenses to avoid being hit in these areas. It also serves them well by striking the assailants in these points in the interest of personal safety. Whenever physical confrontation occurs the most logical way to defend is to apply simple techniques that would easily connect to the assailant’s vital areas. This would either slow him down or knock him off quickly in order to escape, control or terminate the fight as fast as possible.
Tools to use:
1. Finger jab to the eyes – if the assailants is temporarily blinded, he will have a hard time trying to complete the assault against you. This particular offensive move can be applied effectively at punching or at trapping range.
2. Knee strike to the groin – this particular point of the male anatomy has been emphasized in many self-defense books due to its effective result. But many people including some martial artist tend to neglect guarding this area.
3. Elbow to the nose bridge – even a slight pressure to this area could cause excruciating pain. It would usually cause the nose to bleed and eyes to water which eventually blurs the assailant’s vision.
4. Strike to the windpipe (trachea) using the edge of the hand (knife or ridge hand) – the function of the windpipe is to let air from the nasal area come in and spread to the rest of the body to be converted into energy. Hitting this area would cause choking that might lead to unconsciousness.
5. Downward elbow thrust to the kidney area – should the assailant tackle you by grabbing both of your legs this would expose his back and you could hit this area effectively. This area is vulnerable because it is not supported or protected by the skeletal bones or muscles.
6. Hell stomp to the instep of the foot – this is probably be most useful technique to break away from an assailants when held from behind.
7. Downward thrust hell kick to the kneecap (patella) – although not the easiest spot to hit, it would easily put an assailant down and keep him in that position. but it is not only effective if you are able to hit successfully. According to some experts it would only take seven pounds of pressure to break the kneecap.
8. Elbow strike to the temple – a blow to this area could stun, render unconscious or even be fatal depending on the amount of force applied.
9. Knife hand strike to the neck – delivered forcefully a blow to this area could cut the flow of blood supply to the brain temporarily causing lost of consciousness.
10. knee strike aimed at the floating rib – this area could easily break when hit forcefully and is preferred to the stomach because it is not supported by muscles.
by: Bong Abenir
RAPID JOURNAL vol. 8 no. 3 ISSN 0118-4113 Page 27