MyFMA.net - Filipino Martial Arts Network is the premier social network for everyone interested or involved with the Filipino Martial Arts.

MyFMA.net features include photos, videos, events, forums, blogs, chat, and more.

News Feed

Bradley Brock promoted John R. Malmo's group IPMAF - Kombatan
May 1
Bradley Brock promoted Elijah Green's group Inosanto/Lacoste Method of Filipino Martial Arts
May 1
Bradley Brock updated their profile
May 1
Angel Padu posted a photo
Apr 29
Angel Padu commented on Francis Serrano's video
Apr 9
Angel Padu joined a group
Thumbnail

HILOT GARIMOT {Filipino Healing Arts}

This page for the group of Hilot Garimot (Therapeutic Healing Arts of the Philippines)Disccussion…See More
Apr 9
Niwlrae X joined a group
Thumbnail

GARIMOT ARNIS TRAINING GROUP

Filipino Martial Arts group originated from Paete, Laguna (Philippines) founded and head by Gat…See More
Apr 1
Niwlrae X joined a group
Thumbnail

HILOT GARIMOT {Filipino Healing Arts}

This page for the group of Hilot Garimot (Therapeutic Healing Arts of the Philippines)Disccussion…See More
Apr 1
Niwlrae X joined a group
Thumbnail

Filipino Martial Heritage, Atlanta

We are the Atlanta wing of Guro Victor Gendrano Jr.'s Filipino Martial Heritage.  We have been…See More
Apr 1
Aldrin Peter de Vera posted a status
"There is nothing wrong with teaching children Kali. If you can teach a child, you can teach an adult. Keep teaching, keep training."
Mar 27
Aldrin Peter de Vera updated their profile
Mar 27
Maris A updated their profile
Mar 26
Has anyone out there tried to combat a european sword fighter using Escrima,Kali or Arnis and what was your observations?

Views: 114

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dan. Are we talking an actual Espada, or a Rapier.
Either or both, I from experiance have had a lot of fun with this and have learned how deadly a fast point can be. As a result of this I do not ignor the Numbers 5,6 & 7 of the derobio system as thier order is meant do get the point in and fast.
I love Love LOVE to use the point. It IS a lot of fun! The numbers 5, 6, & 7 are the dominant thrusts in most FMA styles, but for each strike, at the point of impact, there's also a thrust for that number. My favorite being at the end of a #1.

For me, the point is very fast. There are two things I can think of that magnifies it's speed. First is angulation. It's important for me to seek the best open line for attack and defence. The second, the Circle, facilitates this. This allows me to get the angle to set up the attack. When I accomplish this, it also means I have potentially robbed my opponent of time(to react).
I like to use the number 6 to defend the number 5 our 6 is like the 5 but from the left side. we can both strike at the same time but my strike deflects the 5 and gets there while thier strike only touches air.
The numbering system among the three different schools in our area are the same, but different from others, so I had to do a quick search, but now I get it and see how that would work.

Our main thrusts within the three schools here are also the #'s 5, 6, & 7. A five goes to the stomach, six goes to the left side, and seven goes to the right.

I guess what I enjoy when sparring, is when my opponent thrusts, I have the opportunity to hit them on a zero-beat. So, I will *try* to use the circle and angles to hit them without blade or stick contact.
Our 5 to the stomach our 6 to the lung and 7 to the heart.
Have you ever used the dagger to parry thrusts while counter attacking with a thrust?
Yes and one of my favorates is using the rapier point to pass the thrust to the dagger.
...and trap/bind it?
Actualy by the time my dagger touches his rapier it's over.

RSS

© 2021   Created by John R. Malmo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service