MyFMA.net - Filipino Martial Arts Network is the premier social network for everyone interested or involved with the Filipino Martial Arts.

MyFMA.net features include photos, videos, events, forums, blogs, chat, and more.

News Feed

Nick Marv commented on John R. Malmo's page School Directory
"Want to update the Cabales Serrada Escrima New York information: Cabales Serrada Escrima New…"
Jun 16
Niwlrae X posted a status
"I just found out how to change the settings on the activities and news feed status, http://www.myfma.net/profiles/profile/privacySettings"
May 19
Bradley Brock promoted John R. Malmo's group IPMAF - Kombatan
May 1
Bradley Brock promoted Elijah Green's group Inosanto/Lacoste Method of Filipino Martial Arts
May 1
Bradley Brock updated their profile
May 1
Angel Padu posted a photo
Apr 29
Angel Padu commented on Francis Serrano's video
Apr 9
Angel Padu joined a group
Thumbnail

HILOT GARIMOT {Filipino Healing Arts}

This page for the group of Hilot Garimot (Therapeutic Healing Arts of the Philippines)Disccussion…See More
Apr 9
Niwlrae X joined a group
Thumbnail

GARIMOT ARNIS TRAINING GROUP

Filipino Martial Arts group originated from Paete, Laguna (Philippines) founded and head by Gat…See More
Apr 1
Niwlrae X joined a group
Thumbnail

HILOT GARIMOT {Filipino Healing Arts}

This page for the group of Hilot Garimot (Therapeutic Healing Arts of the Philippines)Disccussion…See More
Apr 1
Niwlrae X joined a group
Thumbnail

Filipino Martial Heritage, Atlanta

We are the Atlanta wing of Guro Victor Gendrano Jr.'s Filipino Martial Heritage.  We have been…See More
Apr 1
Aldrin Peter de Vera posted a status
"There is nothing wrong with teaching children Kali. If you can teach a child, you can teach an adult. Keep teaching, keep training."
Mar 27

I am not affiliated with any other established Filipino groups even when I myself am Filipino by blood. So straight to the point I shoot.

I'm certified to teach FMA under a non-Filipino instructor. Does that suppose to mean that it's not as good as training under a Filipino instructor?

Views: 1099

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can DIG IT, brotha-mane!

My experiences range from a purist hardcore Korean ROK that started my martial arts career at an early age. Does that mean that ALL American martial arts instructors are not good instructors regardless of style...Hapkido, TKD, Shotokan, Gung Fu...whatever...
I'm a 2nd generation Cabales Serrada Escrima instructor... One of the things GGM Angel was criticized for was teaching the non filipino his methods...admirably he reached out to those outside his culture purposefully. He taught to his credit toward the students abilities even if from the student reached out to him from other systems & backgrounds. Does this mean that his white, black, asian, or middle eastern graduates are nlt qualified to teach well???
Absolutely not. I agree with Zach & Daniel.

Doesn't matter either way.  If training under Filipinos is better than training under non-Filipinos because Filipinos are better at it, then you offset it by being Filipino yourself.  So either way, ethnicity doesn't factor into it. :)

Tim

Rock on, Tim!

Like it was said before there are good and bad instructors out there. But what we have to do is give credit to those that have actualy kept the art alive. My teacher started training non Filipinos in the 1960's. This was a time when everyone was doing Karate, Judo & Kungfu. Even when I went to live in the Philippines in the 70's you could find all these arts but FMA was hidden. Now we move forward; it's not the color of your skin, but whats deep inside your soul and being. Do you breath, eat and sleep FMA. For me it's not a FAD, FMA 35+ years and counting   

Quality is quality, always go with quality. Unless you one of those that have to have someone that looks the part then you in for a surprise. I will say that there are those that will not train with someone who is not Filipino because they think what could they know! It get worse if you are from the US how could you be as good or even better then a teacher from the Philippines! If you have someone who has fought multiple arts and seen a really diversity then you have some who can teach you a lot. FMA grows each time it moves to a new place as it has to deal with new problems. Otherwise it is just locked in time warp !

Well said Marc, I have seen this every time I move from one part of the country to another.

Hey Dan, It does not matter who you studied with or where you studied your FMA or whichever Martial arts system you have studied. I always believe that all practitioners have the same passion. And some with the means to go and train in the origin of the arts will go and train there. To say they have had the opportunity to train in the country of origin. It just depends on how you value your training and how you share it. It is true that many Filipinos do not even know what FMA is. And it's our obligation (well not really.LOL) to help those who are interested in FMA to help these people to ignite this curiousity of the FMA. Man does it make sense.LOL. I for one have trained in the Philippines and the US. And I have heard both sides say they are better than the other. It's like my dad is better than your dad. But what matters is the passion we have in to train and to share whatever style we have. Because we are a breed of our own. Be proud that you are one of those who love the arts and have the passion to share. Than those who have knowledge but don't want to share. This is why there are so many systems of FMA that died and went to the grave with the manongs. I have experienced it. I would ask a manong to teach (here in the Philippines) if they would share their knowledge. they would always turn you down for some reason. No one in their family had any interest so they never passed it on and would die with it. Very sad but true. And until now this is still predominant. This is one of the reasons why FMA is not known by many filipinos. So continue training and sharing bro. Let's keep the legacy of this beautiful art alive be it through pinoys or non pinoys. Just my two cents. 

There's no difference. Whatever your race is, it depends upon the instructor who teaches you the art. Most of our well-known instructors from the 60's to the 80's migrated to the United States. Classic example would be GM Remy Presas, GM Llanada and GM Dr. Guillermo Lengson all of whom promulgated arnis (our country's recently declared national sport) in the U.S. In the same manner, there is no truth to the old saying "that only the Japanese are good in Karate...".  A particular martial art does not belong to only one race. :)

I generally approach such challenges with an open mind and a closed fist. ;)

On a serious note, people who try to minimize capability based on lineage do not operate in the "Live World".

The Phillipines as a whole has been influenced by invaders and migrant populations for centuries.  In fact the global community has been bringing FMA back to the Phillipines as of late.

Most Non-Fillipino lineage train with a passion now lacking amongst the Philippine communities in North America. 

I myself have a student I trained, who went back to train his village in the Philippines,  They only knew of  MMA and Boxing.  

That is why FMA will not stagnate.  We refuse to have it institutionalized and continue to share interpretations to with any that will hear us.

We will practice in basement, parks, villages, gyms, or where ever we feel the need to play.

-Deeds, not words.

Johnny

If you had a chance to train in Tang Soo Do with Chuck Norris, who is obviously not Korean, and got ranked by  him, do you really think you would be less qualified then similarly trained Koreans?  The origin of Brazilian jiu jitsu began with a Japanese instructor teaching the Gracies...how qualified would you feel getting a black belt from them?  I remember when Anton Geesink was the first non-Japanese to crack the Olympic gold at judo...I'd have to assume his students are well qualified.

Filipino's have every right to be proud of what is my favorite martial art, and will tend to dominate it for a long time.  But the eventual quality of both the instructor and the student comes down to the individual as a man, and if you believe in the idea of brotherhood among martial artists, then sharing instruction between a quality instructor and motivated student, regardless of race, is going to lead eventually to highly qualified non-Filipino's teaching. 

If anyone is busting your chops about this though, I wouldn't waste time getting frustrated arguing with them.  The only way to win in stupid arguments is to not play the game. 

Daniel, I'm certified in FMA under a Filipino Teacher that brought my art to America from the Philippines. I've been told by a Filipino that did Martial Artist that I can never be as good or even a high rank in the art due to being white. Unfortunately for his student we were in a tournament at the time. I got disqualified due to his student being a Filipino with a bloody nose. However, it doesn’t matter if the instructor is Filipino or not. It’s all about their knowledge and skill within the art that matters. However, if you and I opened a school in the same town offering FMA, you’ll get more students because you’re Filipino. So some prejudice that Asian instructors are better is still around, when in fact it’s the individual’s knowledge of the art what really counts.

Plus, jealousy in the arts and trying to run one instructor down to make themselves look better to gain more students seems to be the name of the game. Here is Kansas, I’ve been known to get a person telling me I’m too far, and if I know someone closer. I would send them to that closer instructor because I know that instructor, and we’ve discussed if I can’t have that student then I’ll give them to a Brother/Sister in the art. Working together to promote one another and the art is what it’s all about.

RSS

© 2021   Created by John R. Malmo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service