MyFMA.net - Filipino Martial Arts Network is the premier social network for everyone interested or involved with the Filipino Martial Arts.

MyFMA.net features include photos, videos, events, forums, blogs, chat, and more.

News Feed

Bradley Brock promoted John R. Malmo's group IPMAF - Kombatan
May 1
Bradley Brock promoted Elijah Green's group Inosanto/Lacoste Method of Filipino Martial Arts
May 1
Bradley Brock updated their profile
May 1
Angel Padu posted a photo
Apr 29
Angel Padu commented on Francis Serrano's video
Apr 9
Angel Padu joined a group
Thumbnail

HILOT GARIMOT {Filipino Healing Arts}

This page for the group of Hilot Garimot (Therapeutic Healing Arts of the Philippines)Disccussion…See More
Apr 9
Niwlrae X joined a group
Thumbnail

GARIMOT ARNIS TRAINING GROUP

Filipino Martial Arts group originated from Paete, Laguna (Philippines) founded and head by Gat…See More
Apr 1
Niwlrae X joined a group
Thumbnail

HILOT GARIMOT {Filipino Healing Arts}

This page for the group of Hilot Garimot (Therapeutic Healing Arts of the Philippines)Disccussion…See More
Apr 1
Niwlrae X joined a group
Thumbnail

Filipino Martial Heritage, Atlanta

We are the Atlanta wing of Guro Victor Gendrano Jr.'s Filipino Martial Heritage.  We have been…See More
Apr 1
Aldrin Peter de Vera posted a status
"There is nothing wrong with teaching children Kali. If you can teach a child, you can teach an adult. Keep teaching, keep training."
Mar 27
Aldrin Peter de Vera updated their profile
Mar 27
Maris A updated their profile
Mar 26

GOOD Rattan Sticks in Europe ? Can anybody point me in the right direction

I buy my sticks from the U.S on either Kali Gear or KIL Combat Instruments but the cost of getting them delivered to Ireland now is Silly money. The sites around Europe i have bought sticks in so far have been bad quality, so bad id rather use chop sticks. Help would be appreciated, thanks

Views: 468

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anthony,

In all the years of teaching and practicing the FMA (40 yrs) and numerous trips to the Philippines I have never heard of Black palm tree rattan sticks.. Rattan is a vine that grows in the rocky areas of the Philippines and are usually natural in color.. If you bought palm tree sticks as you said, they weren't rattan, but probably some other kind of soft wood.. Kamagong and Bahi are the centers of trees more notably the palm tree and other type of wood.. Kamagong is a dark color and Bahi comes with a snake type design which is the grain of the stick.. It is notorious for some manufacturers to get mulave and other wood, die them black and mark them as Kamagong.. Kamagong and Bahi are hardwoods which bahi is like an ironwood deriative.. Kamagong is same as a palm tree, but for the most part, you can tell real kamagong as it will have a slick texture with pronounced grain and bahi has the snake style of grain which is spotty yet is strong as hell.. I have been using both kamagong and bahi for decades and have several garotes/baston made out of each wood identified, so I have a little more insite into the category of hardwood used in the combative sticks.. The rattan comes in about 3 different categories which dictate the hardness of the vine.. The two that I use primarily and hand pick when I go to the PI is both labasica and tumalin with the skin still on and the nodes showing.. THe more nodes you have and the closer they are the stronger the rattan is going to be

RSS

© 2021   Created by John R. Malmo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service