MyFMA.net - Filipino Martial Arts Network is the premier social network for everyone interested or involved with the Filipino Martial Arts.

MyFMA.net features include photos, videos, events, forums, blogs, chat, and more.

News Feed

Dan updated their profile
Saturday
Nick Marv posted photos
Friday
Profile IconAJ, Sunjaya Djaja, Guru Cian and 4 more joined MyFMA.net - Filipino Martial Arts Network
Friday
random name updated their profile
Aug 28
Cor Navin commented on John R. Malmo's page School Directory
"WingTsun & Escrima Servette, Ecole du Liotard, 66 rue Liotard, 1203…"
Jul 1
Nick Marv commented on John R. Malmo's page School Directory
"Want to update the Cabales Serrada Escrima New York information: Cabales Serrada Escrima New…"
Jun 16
Niwlrae X posted a status
"I just found out how to change the settings on the activities and news feed status, http://www.myfma.net/profiles/profile/privacySettings"
May 19
Bradley Brock promoted John R. Malmo's group IPMAF - Kombatan
May 1
Bradley Brock promoted Elijah Green's group Inosanto/Lacoste Method of Filipino Martial Arts
May 1
Bradley Brock updated their profile
May 1
Angel Padu posted a photo
Apr 29
Angel Padu commented on Francis Serrano's video
Apr 9
I thought it would be beneficial if everyone would post their favorite Filipino Martial Arts training drills.

Views: 420

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our school is a Filipino Mixed Martial School not only do we train in Kali , Dumog , Escrima etc we incorporate all other arts
under the Jun Fan Jeet kune do Philosophy's so our drills are basic flow drills and sensitivity. for example we do chi sao drills
with the kali sticks . empty hands or using weapons is the same flow

We do have a Kali stick conditioning drill that we picked up from boxer Manny Pacman Pacquaio , in where your trainer wacks you all over with a kali stick and you try and absorb the blow so you can feel the impact , this helps you a lot during competition so when you get hit your able to deflect that energy and continue fighting, this is me getting whack by Sifu Tim this is not my favorite drill .
Wow, it is a good thing this drill doesnt come in the form of groin conditioning. I am just kidding. Just kidding.
I like double daga and double pocket stick drills. The drills include sombrada, hubud and having someone with boxing gloves trying to tag me, while I gunt his punches. Get a good deal of pressure, footwork, timing, head movement, and target practice. Partner can have dagas too.

Important to do these drills right and left, standard and inverted, standard and reverse grip.

Also, while under duress I like drawing drills or accessing and deploying my tools for self-defense.

Guro Dave
Some of my most favored FMA drills.
- Palit Palit
- Solo Baston
- Sinawali
- Cadena De Mano
- Locking Counters/Reversals
- 6/10 Count Drill

These are few of the drills that I fancy the most for each one, you will find, is very deep with an almost endless array of variations, only if you take the time to explore and understand them. For example, the famous Sinawali can be used as the base for what somebody called a "hand hunting drill." One plays the feeder, feeding a Sinawali pattern of choice, while the other one is "hand hunting." I personally prefer to do this with knives, but sticks, and even empty hand strikes in the form of limb destruction to the hands or wrists can work as well. Sinawali, in the same format as the "hand hunting" version, can be used as a drill to teach entries. At first, I found this to be tougher than the 12 basic strikes and counters as in a Sinawali drill has constant movements while you are thinking about the pattern that you are being fed and trying to counter the strikes at the same time. This sort of drill takes the monotony out of constant angle 1 then 2 feeding. Although it does not replace random strikes, it can at times take its place so that you can practice Sinawali patterns and at the same time not worry about what strike to feed. It is a good way to build up defense against Sinawali strikes and learning in a limited way of using them as actual follow through strikes. There is much more to it, but this is a basic example of how sophisticated these drills are and to why they are so cool.
I study Bahd Zubu under GM Yuli Romo.

When he formally created BZ in around 2002 he kept some of the drills from the Kali Ilustrisimo system and the 12 strike Abacedario.

Here is a good (but poor quality so sorry about that) of a demo of them.

As the BZ curriculum has evolved GM Yuli has sought to do away with these kind of drills all together. He remarks that people become good at drills but not good at fighting. That they are "Set-up" / choreographed.

He also chose to limit the Abacedario to 5 strikes and then ultimately just 2 - forehand / backhand. The attributes developed by the Ilustrisimo drills he has sought to develop in the "Serrada / Abierta" and "Bunga Santaku" drills. They are drills in the fact that they always begin with one guy initiating the attack and the other guy responding. One of the main focuses is on flow so it becomes "Never ending". Here is a vid showing some applications of Serrada / Abierta:

Personally, I still like the "older" BZ drills. We are taught that they all contain Redonda / Reverse Redonda (clockwise and anti-clockwise elliptical strikes) so the drills help understand this better (similar to "Sinawali" in other styles). Also, the drills re-enforce the footwork, range and timing to name a few so I think they still have their place. They are also a lot easier to teach and understand for those who are not Martial Arts geniuses! I also think drills are cool as long as they're recognized as framework for developing certain attributes and not the be all and end all.

As was written above; "Random Reaction" is also very important to me as is defending against the way people are stabbed in the street for example - not just how your system teaches you to attack.

Simon.
I have to say that my overall favorite drill is Higot Hubad Lubad, both empty hand and with weapons. After this would be Sumbrada, Punyo Sumbrada, Abacada (for adding variety to striking), Numerada with the Tayada, Karenza (when I don't have a partner to train with), Panastas, and Palisut. I find breaking in and breaking out of range with Hubad Lubad, Punyo Sumbrada and Sumbrada loads of fun as well. Agaws out of flow drills I believe are a good training method to educate the timing needed to effectively pull of a disarm, while shots are being traded between combatants; and also for applying locks and throws out of the drill structure, so that we can eventually dissolve that structure all together.

RSS

© 2021   Created by John R. Malmo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service