MyFMA.net - Filipino Martial Arts Network is the premier social network for everyone interested or involved with the Filipino Martial Arts.

MyFMA.net features include photos, videos, events, forums, blogs, chat, and more.

News Feed

Nick Marv commented on John R. Malmo's page School Directory
"Want to update the Cabales Serrada Escrima New York information: Cabales Serrada Escrima New…"
Jun 16
Niwlrae X posted a status
"I just found out how to change the settings on the activities and news feed status, http://www.myfma.net/profiles/profile/privacySettings"
May 19
Bradley Brock promoted John R. Malmo's group IPMAF - Kombatan
May 1
Bradley Brock promoted Elijah Green's group Inosanto/Lacoste Method of Filipino Martial Arts
May 1
Bradley Brock updated their profile
May 1
Angel Padu posted a photo
Apr 29
Angel Padu commented on Francis Serrano's video
Apr 9
Angel Padu joined a group
Thumbnail

HILOT GARIMOT {Filipino Healing Arts}

This page for the group of Hilot Garimot (Therapeutic Healing Arts of the Philippines)Disccussion…See More
Apr 9
Niwlrae X joined a group
Thumbnail

GARIMOT ARNIS TRAINING GROUP

Filipino Martial Arts group originated from Paete, Laguna (Philippines) founded and head by Gat…See More
Apr 1
Niwlrae X joined a group
Thumbnail

HILOT GARIMOT {Filipino Healing Arts}

This page for the group of Hilot Garimot (Therapeutic Healing Arts of the Philippines)Disccussion…See More
Apr 1
Niwlrae X joined a group
Thumbnail

Filipino Martial Heritage, Atlanta

We are the Atlanta wing of Guro Victor Gendrano Jr.'s Filipino Martial Heritage.  We have been…See More
Apr 1
Aldrin Peter de Vera posted a status
"There is nothing wrong with teaching children Kali. If you can teach a child, you can teach an adult. Keep teaching, keep training."
Mar 27
I thought it would be beneficial if everyone would post their favorite Filipino Martial Arts training drills.

Views: 419

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are so many drills and each has their function, I really like chain drills= give and take technique flow.
I also have many training devices or set ups that help develop eye hand co ordination and learning how not to telegraph what your intentions are.
From Kombatan, we utilize Palitan. Palit-palit is a give and take drill that develops flow, range and distancing, timing, and speed.

It is taught with all weapon and empty hand possibilities - double stick, single stick, knife, espada y daga, and mano mano.

It covers long range, medium range, and close range and employs all defense methodologies.

A very basic description: as attacker advances with a strike the defender counters and then immediately advances as the attacker. This is done through a back and forth method of footwork and attacks/counters.

Here is a video clip of Guro Pedro performing palit-palit with a knife:
I like this drill its beautiful , I would however try to keep the motion tight and not wide .
I had a similar opinion at first that I would prefer to keep the motion tight and not wide. I found out that specially for beginners, wide angles is easier to teach. Wider angles is also easier to counter in terms of visual cues. Therefore, for a beginner it is suggestible to give them something relatively easier to counter so that they can develop confidence and skills in dealing with incoming strikes. Also, the wider angles is a great way to practice largo mano. If I am paired up to a junior, especially a rookie, I would give large angles. If I am paired up with a peer or someone my senior, I would prefer economy of motion while adding in large angles as bait and to mix up the techniques and vary the speed.
This is the chain drill with a beginning student done in my basement as a means for him to see what he was doing. Not a real good video- but , you get the idea- not preplanned or structured in any way. Here is another version with a black belt

Very nice indeed we have the same drills like Chi Sao Drills , empty hand or with weapon . what we call flow drills,
or energy drills we also do a lot of snake or paksaw hand and foot checking drills , relax and flow only tense up on the moment of impact using your chi
In my opinion, the most productive drill we do is what we call "hand hunting" -the drill starts with a feeder giving controlled angles, and the receiver striking to the hand and giving a follow up of their choice. Then the speed and resistance levels increase,feeder becomes less co-operative after feed and attempts to defend from the counter attack. This drill can be done with or with out protective equipment, to get the maximum effect it should be done with protective equipment and varying levels of resistance, speed and tempo. It is important to break up the rhythm. When we practice this I tell my students to always,always follow up, hitting the hand is only half the equation, it is making the most of the opening that is the most important. I have seen quite a few times people make great defensive openings but fail to capitalize on them. Teach to always follow up and it becomes natural.-Josh
MABUHAY FMAers ! the drills of Kombatan is i am pretty sure very good. I was for 20 years associated with GM Ernesto during the Ipmaf (now kombatan) time. Good catching, parries, footwork, timing & distance makes good control of the drill and enables the partnering enjoy the movements coming in instants and instinct. We have a long list of drill and exercises by The Philippine Classical Arnis International, the mother federation of Classical Arnis Abaniko Tres Puntas founded by Great Lolo Mateo D. Estolloso of Culasi, Antique, Philippines. DVD volumes 1,2,3 is available and 4 & 5 are under editing. It is available in eBay- UK or you may email me : arnis_tongson@yahoo.com or log on to www.masterangelo.co.uk www.philippineclassicalarnis.net is under reformatting. Drills are important. Any body close to New Forest, Hants, UK : Classical Arnis Seminar July 17-19, 2009 respectfully this invitation is extended. GM Rene Tongson of the Philippines is conducting the seminar.
Thanks Mabuhay to you
One of Bahala Na Multi-Style's favorite drills is "Miscla Contras". In the multi-style curriculim it is taught befor you move to the intermediate level! We feel the abilty to block multible hard strikes from mutible opponents is a great attribute to learn as a beginner! The abilty to counter is developed in our Defondo practice!
Please check out the you tube videos "miscla contras" or "block hard" on my page!
Can you please specify "your page" Perhaps a link? Thank you =)
I've never really been big on drills.. I was taught that your natural response in facing an attack was the best way to learn.. But due to the way that people are taught now, you as an instructor are forced to teach drills so your students can learn how to defend against the angles of attack..

I teach my people how to defend against the attack, be it weapons or empty hand.. The principle is to survive and continue on with your objective..

But this is my opinion and does not represent the opinions of others

RSS

© 2021   Created by John R. Malmo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service