MyFMA.net - Filipino Martial Arts Network is the premier social network for everyone interested or involved with the Filipino Martial Arts.

MyFMA.net features include photos, videos, events, forums, blogs, chat, and more.

News Feed

Stefan Kus updated their profile
Sunday
Mike Smith updated their profile
Oct 6
Herman Kidd updated their profile
Sep 24
Aldrin Peter de Vera updated their profile
Jul 3
robert small posted a blog post

Great loss to world

It's withe great sadness that tonight I learned that my friend Maha Guru Brian Buzz Smith has…See More
Jun 28
robert small updated their profile
Jun 25
ShinKali Academy joined a group
Thumbnail

Senkotiros Arnis Tribe

Senkotiros Arnis, Philippine Martial Art, Arnis, Kali, EskrimaSee More
May 19
Marcus Moore joined a group
Thumbnail

Unified Filipino Martial Arts Council "UFMAC"

Our mission is to provide an open forum for the preservation, promotion, and the unification of the…See More
May 3
Marcus Moore updated their profile
May 2
Gerry Reyes posted a blog post
Apr 17
Gerry Reyes commented on the group 'Sina Tirsia Wali'
"On behalf of Mas Guru Dennis Ocampo: It is with a heavy heart to announce our Grandmaster Mas Guru…"
Apr 17
Gerry Reyes promoted Kuroshinja's group Sina Tirsia Wali
Apr 17

Please provide your thoughts about this post by Guro Khalid:

TO ALL GURO'S OF ESCRIMA / KALI / ARNIS: from Guro Khalid: Here is a Rule: Listen Carefully: Guro's should not meet students after a Class ends. Both should separate. Because there is nothing to say after the class. ALSO, no alcohol drinking for Guro's with students, in public, or in private, from now on. It could lead to some incident, and then your school's image will be effected for all. I follow the above 2 principles. For long life of us, the Filipino Martial Arts Community.

Views: 802

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I was training in the Philippines, we trained in the "family" environment and that is how I still teach.  The family atmosphere is one that has its strong points but at the same time its weak points do pop now and then.. I can say for the most part, I never have had a negative experience with any of my students with the exception of one who was asked to leave the class after he constantly disrupted the class and 15 minutes later, his dad showed up wanting to confront me.. I stepped outside of the class room to talk to the father and told him the situtation why I asked the student to leave.. He said he was told something totally different by his son.. I told him that if the son wanted to come back, he was to apologize to the whole class and then would be allowed to be part of the class again.. He came back one time and after that, never showed up again..  so sometimes as an instructor, you have to act like a fatherly figure to your class and students just to let them know that you are in the position of control of your class and cannot let anything distract from your teachings and authority as an instructor

We always go to eat and sometimes to each other's houses.I've fed guys when they were hungry and given them some money when they were down on their luck. The point is, FMA as we practice it is a brotherhood. We train together, eat together and take care of each other but we have to be selective with who we let in so we don't have problems. Personally, it sounds like there was a leadership problem in the original post. Somebody didn't know there place or somebody else didn't know when to put them in it.

I think this has more to do with the nature of the instructor as an individual, than it does the nature of the [martial arts] classroom dynamic.

The instructor I studied under in Aikido had no problem separating social time from class time. After ranking exams, it was tradition for our Aikido dojo to go to the pub down the street and celebrate, and after long days of training during our weekend seminars we did the same. We usually had annual picnics at a park or at someone's house, and holiday parties in the dojo. The in-class atmosphere was exceptionally well structured, and not hindered in the least by our social activities during off-hours.

My FMA instructors have not done this, though.

There is a certain psychological benefit to knowing, not only your instructor, but the rest of your training partners, as well, on a personal-social level as well as in the formal atmosphere of the class.

Not all instructors can handle maintaining both a social and a classroom interaction with their students. Some are simply better than others at separating the two into their proper forums and settings.

I believe it is up to the instructor to know his/her own abilities at this, to set the appropriate boundaries according to their ability to manage social/classroom interpersonal relationships.

Very family like. If you teach professionally like in a Mc dojo to the general public then yes, keep it professional.

To all due respect with Guro Khalid since there is no context included with this post.  But I respectfully disagree.  I use the Philosophy of the Filipinos, hospitable, caring and that anyone that they teach earns to become family.  Sounds like something else happened.  

I believe that this policy is a very good one for Guro Khalid.  I have absolutely no objections to his stated policy.  As for myself, I will ignore his policy statement and continue to work with my students as I have in the past, based on their ages and maturity levels.

I believe that whether you are an instructor or student, it is my hope that a person has a sound moral compass and be able to discern when a potential compromising situation could occure and remove yourself as quickly and respectfully as possible. I remember one time Pak Herman was telling us about how he discovered that one day he realized that he had students, but no one behaved in a friendly way outside the class. When he saw the student on the street and wanted to say hello they would turn and head the other direction. Pak Herman taught that day the importance of a relationship. It must be appropriate. We are mentoring far more than the execution of technique. Brandon Lee once said , "What level of imperfection will you settle for?". I believe we need to mentor our humanity as much as our proficiency. Just a thought shared with all. Many blessings to all.

RSS

© 2020   Created by John R. Malmo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service