MyFMA.net - Filipino Martial Arts Network is the premier social network for everyone interested or involved with the Filipino Martial Arts.

MyFMA.net features include photos, videos, events, forums, blogs, chat, and more.

News Feed

David N. Beck joined a group
Thumbnail

GARIMOT ARNIS TRAINING GROUP

Filipino Martial Arts group originated from Paete, Laguna (Philippines) founded and head by Gat…See More
Nov 29
GURO ANDREW "TATTOO" FILARDO updated their profile
Nov 19
GURO ANDREW "TATTOO" FILARDO promoted GURO ANDREW "TATTOO" FILARDO's profile
Nov 19
Andy Donelson is now a member of MyFMA.net - Filipino Martial Arts Network
Aug 7
Bill commented on the blog post 'BARK RIVER KNIVES MORO BORONG'
"I talked to Mike Stewart from Bark River a couple of months back and he stated  that there is…"
Aug 7
Black Swan Tactical posted a blog post
Aug 7
David Pratt is now a member of MyFMA.net - Filipino Martial Arts Network
Jul 31
dennis hiser posted a status
"lahat ay matupad ang buhay sa pamamagitan ng sining ng taba."
Jul 19
dennis hiser updated their profile
Jul 17
dennis hiser posted a blog post

Back to the fight

I was out for awhile due to health concerns but am anticipating being back in the fight again soon.…See More
Jul 17
Rudy Gaytan commented on the group 'Sayas-Lastra Brotherhood'
"hello to all my kapatids out there.  much love to eddie for all he has given me that enriched…"
Jul 11
Rudy Gaytan replied to the discussion 'sayas lastra style'
"i was taught by eddie and got to train with his brother robert and sometimes  jorges son…"
Jul 11

Hello All,

This may already have been a topic but I think that with the untimely passing of Master Tony Diego, that the topic of preserving FMA needs to be discussed again.

For me as a Filipino-American, FMA is a rare jewel of the my culture that I feel should be promoted and shown not only to non-filipinos, but younger filipinos, especially those who live in and were born in America.

As instructors we wish to teach anyone who has a sincere determination to learn. For those of you who feel you have been successful in targeting filipino youth and youth in general, how did you go about doing it? Does it already happen and am I just paranoid. I just feel that, regardless of style, the younger generation should know that the Philippines has a bunch of formidable martial arts styles that they can choose from.

What do you guys think?

Regards,

Guro Norman Malonzo

Inayan Martial Arts Association

Views: 765

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Other than in the Philippines I have never seen a children's program in the United States as big as Bahala Na Multi-Style.

Bahala Na is # 1 when it comes to children FMA programs. Maybe other systems can adopt their programs if the information is available.

I ran a kids program for 3 years. I maintained an enrollment of 60 kids ages 4-14. Great experience, but I did it all by myself - definitely recommend having assistants. ;)

Wow!!!!!!!!!!  Even if you had assistants, I have no idea how you did that.  Wow!!!!!  Definitely alot of hard work from you manong Malmo.

There were a number of things that worked in my favor. It was at a charter school that all three of my children attended, and I used the school's gym so it didn't cost me anything in overhead. I offered class an hour everyday Monday through Friday shortly after school let out so it was extremely convenient for a lot of parents. I offered very competitive prices compared to other available after school options. The vast majority of the teachers and administration loved what I offered the school.

The first day, shortly before starting the class, I was waiting for all of the school's students to be dismissed from the gym. The teacher in charge for the day told all of my potential martial arts club members to get in the bleachers and take a seat. As can be expected for a bunch of young elementary and middle school aged kids, they made a lot of noise and were starting to be a distraction for the teachers trying to usher students to their respective rides. I turned towards the bleachers and in a loud booming voice I commanded, "SIT." The entire gym of hundreds of students, some parents, and several teachers all immediately sat down and shut up. An awesome silence fell across the gym. After a few seconds, one of the teachers nearest me whispered, "how do you do that? I want to be able to do that!"

Lots of good times! But several pain in the butt moments as well!!

RSS

© 2019   Created by John R. Malmo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service