MyFMA.net - Filipino Martial Arts Network is the premier social network for everyone interested or involved with the Filipino Martial Arts.

MyFMA.net features include photos, videos, events, forums, blogs, chat, and more.

News Feed

Thomas Macaluso updated their profile
Nov 4
Herman Kidd updated their profile
Oct 31
Dan posted a photo
Oct 22
Alberto Perez is now a member of MyFMA.net - Filipino Martial Arts Network
Oct 22
Dan updated their profile
Sep 25
Nick Marv posted photos
Sep 24
Profile IconAJ, Sunjaya Djaja, Guru Cian and 4 more joined MyFMA.net - Filipino Martial Arts Network
Sep 24
random name updated their profile
Aug 28
Cor Navin commented on John R. Malmo's page School Directory
"WingTsun & Escrima Servette, Ecole du Liotard, 66 rue Liotard, 1203…"
Jul 1
Nick Marv commented on John R. Malmo's page School Directory
"Want to update the Cabales Serrada Escrima New York information: Cabales Serrada Escrima New…"
Jun 16
Niwlrae X posted a status
"I just found out how to change the settings on the activities and news feed status, http://www.myfma.net/profiles/profile/privacySettings"
May 19
Bradley Brock promoted John R. Malmo's group IPMAF - Kombatan
May 1

This is the link for when the 3 MMA fighters match up against the Marines at Quantico, good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhxDQgbuZ3o&feature=player_embedded

Comments?

Views: 316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mr. Joven,

This is an interesting response. Does that mean when your group prepares for a tournament they practice breaking all the rules?

I understand a headshot can take someone out quick, but what if you're dealing with a Dog Brother? 

it only takes 1 or 2 shots and doesn't really matter who it is if you get caught coming in.

and no it does not mean u break rules.

unless u are not allowed to hit someone they still have to come within strking distance. we do not have to change the way we fight/train to compete or to defend ourselves unless you have projectiles

So you're still limited by the rules of the tournament. Since certain attacks are banned in a tournament, there is limitation. The two competitors engage and no head shot is scored. However, the one competitor tackles the other, mounts, punches and arm bars or stick chokes. How does your group adapt to that, without training against it? I'm not trying to say this is a street attack because it doesn't consider more than one attacker and other factors.

Projectiles are an example I used earlier. Projectiles are not banned from a street attack.Many years ago, a young student of mine was challenged to a street fight. Foolishly, he accepted, got pepper-sprayed in the face, and beat up.

If is a very big word..

and i did not say we donot train against people trying to shoot, tackle, punch, mount etc. Most of our instructors are also grapplers or cross train in other arts or peace officers.

What i am saying is we train the same way we fight....and the way that i look at it... they still have to close the distance and its my job to make you pay for it. So we train & train & train

Our instructor used to say you donot have to be highly skilled if you know what your doing.

I'm also not saying that were the best out their...but we would give anyone a  good run for the money.

respectfully

terry

"What i am saying is we train the same way we fight....and the way that i look at it... they still have to close the distance and its my job to make you pay for it. So we train & train & train."

What do you train, and train, and train for, tournament, self-defense, or both?

Doesn't the mere fact of wearing protective gear change the way your group would fight? 

Repectfully,

Dave

Not really.

protective gear is so u can go home without your head cracked.

if u are getting hit u need to work at not getting hit or get a new instructor

everyone gets hit.. u keep training so when u don't have protective gear your chances of surviving increase.

anyway last reply Guru Dave

to much explaining makes my head hurt!

thanks for the conversation

respectfully

terry

Mr. Joven and Mr. Melchor,

Thank you for your insight. I feel both of you have stated your valid points clearly and concisely. I believe it's an open, respectful dialogue between FMA that helps us all grow.

Thank you to all who've replied. It's great to see our love for our art unite us, rather than divide us.

Anyone else, please feel free to reply.

"to much explaining makes my head hurt!" Terry, LOL...I know what you mean.

Dave

Burton Richarson made some good points about this http://jkdunlimited.com/articles/by-burton-richardson/making-sense-...

While I don't compete as much as I used to , I think the sport element of martial arts can be a means to a end . Competeing against a stranger who wants to win as much as you ,dealing with butterflies in your stomach and  fighting with the handicap of rules all can help you become a better martial artist .

Learn the game , learn the rules and then learn the fouls isn't a bad way to go

Hi Tom,

Forgive me if I misunderstand, but your response seems to contradict the Burton Richardson article you linked to. Are you trying to use his article as support for your reply?

This may seem a bit off the wall, but I often wonder if there is a risk that tournament or sport combat training gives a false sense of personal security in a street defense situation, and so is actually dangerous to the student. Maybe that's what happened to those UFC fighters.

At the bare minimum I think that any sparring should include the potential for hidden knives - which no sport or tournament training does.

I think your point has merit.

I believe the Dog Brothers have added hidden knives to their fight sessions.

Not off the wall at all.  You are totally correct but the biggest difference is street mindset and sporting mindset are correctly very different. 

RSS

© 2021   Created by John R. Malmo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service